The Development of the Main St Andrews Road, Cambridge Site
The Development of Pye’s main site -
WG Pye moved to this site in 1913 with 40 employees; with the advent of radio manufacture in the 1920s the factory expanded rapidly.
Haig Road, now Elizabeth Way is on the left and St Andrews Road, leading to St Andrews Church is mid picture.
1930 - Cambridge Works
Here we see the main production area with its 10 long roofs. Behind that were the main offices and research laboratories, which fronted St Andrews Road.
The River Cam is at top right, across the Sports Fields.
At this time, the whole site would have employed around 1500 staff.
This shot taken from the river bank. The picture shows the Pye buildings in 1932.
This shows the front of Pye’s Headquarter building in 1932.
Behind this frontage, the Pye Research Laboratories were starting to develop the first Televisions.
1960s - 1970s
In 1960, after the new Pye Head Office had been built, this building was occupied by Pye Engineering Services.
In 1979, Pye Engineering Services closed and the building was then occupied by Pye Telecom’s Systems Division.
Here we see where the various departments on the main Pye site were located around 1955.
It was drawn by Richard Ellis.
1960s - 1980s
In 1956, Pye of Cambridge built a new office block on the river side of St Andrew’s Road. It was known as ‘the wavy roof building’.
It housed Pye’s Head Office and Pye Ltd’s Sales and Marketing staff, totaling around 200.
In the early 1980s Pye of Cambridge was disbanded and the building was occupied by Pye Telecom.